THE MAG EXTRA
THE MAG EXTRA
Introduction
The Brighton Squawk
Contents
- Life After the Diagnosis
- Room to Move
- The News Centre
- Sol Ruca, Jordynne Grace and Cathy Kelley
- On the Bookshelf
- OpenLearn - Understanding Autism
- Quote.....Unquote
- YouTube links
- Why Am I So Obsessed with Christmas?
Life After the Diagnosis by Stephen Ashfield
Just like a bus, you wait ages for one to come along and all of a sudden two make an appearance. I had been seeking a diagnosis to explain the problems I have encountered in my life not for years but decades. Now I have them.
I knew there was something that was causing the way I behaved but really had no idea what it was. Then in the space of seven weeks I was diagnosed with autism and then just last week with ADHD.
It was around March of this year that for the very first time the possibility of my having autism was mentioned. I was a few months away from my 65th birthday and having my usual problems with anxiety. Having a heart attack in August 2025 had made life pretty difficult and I was still having to use a walking stick at that point. Boy did I hate that walking stick.
I went to see a mental health practitioner and never imagined how it would change my life. Never had I even considered autism to be the diagnosis that I was looking to receive. I had always been a sensitive person, pretty easy to upset, a bit of a loner and continually having some kind of mental health problem that I battled my way through.
An initial screening produced sufficiently high enough results to have me referred to Psychiatry UK via the NHS Right to Choose service to see if I did have autism. The wait to have that appointment was not a good one. I struggled to cope with what was happening and my mental health did take a downturn. Somehow I sorted myself out again and finally, the appointment that would change my life took place in May.
It began with my having to answer some rather lengthy forms. Many of the questions were about my childhood behaviour and that brought back some pretty difficult memories of how I used to struggle.
After completing those forms, they emailed back and I was offered an online interview for the following day. That was pretty tough too but the psychiatrist made me eventually feel a bit more comfortable than at the start of the interview. It ended with my being given an official diagnosis of autism.
So that was that, I was autistic, something that I had never previously thought about, not once. Immediately, I began to go online to find out more information about the subject. My voyage of discovery began and this has included looking for local services I could contact and joining Facebook groups.
The latter has proved to be very helpful indeed. I read about how other people with autism cope with their diagnosis and the problems that autism can create. Time after time, I have read about certain types of behaviour and thought 'wow I do that.' It has been the same with the books that I have read on the subject.
Some Facebook posts said that being diagnosed with autism doesn't actually change your life. I can't really agree with that because everything in my life seems to have changed since my diagnosis.
It was such a shock being told that I was autistic. I have been frustrated at the fact I have seen so many mental health workers in the past and no one until this year ever mentioned the possibility I may have autism. All those years without knowing, it really is frustrating. I guess being a child of the 1960s was an initial problem.
Just like dyslexia, no one was really talking about autism and ADHD those days. I was just the quiet, sensitive child who was good at writing and mental arithmetic but struggled in so many other aspects of my life.
ADHD was also mentioned and I went down the same route of an initial screening, being referred, answering the online questions and then the long interview and diagnosis. Having read about ADHD in the past few weeks, being diagnosed wasn't such a shock. It was fairly obvious to me that I had ADHD.
Over the past few weeks I have joined several groups and of course launched THE MAG. Everything has changed, especially the problem of loneliness that I have had for nearly all of the last decade. Everything is still a bit confusing and I'm learning more as every day goes by. I really am on a learning curve but one I wish I had started a long time ago not a couple of years before I get my pension.
How did your diagnosis affect you? If you want to write about it for THE MAG EXTRA, please contact me at mageditoruk@gmail.com.
Room to Move (2025)
Room to Move is a stunning documentary that can currently be seen on Netflix. It is directed by Alexander Hammer but it was not initially set to be about autism. The documentary follows the life of dancer Jenn Freeman but its subject matter soon goes down a different route when in 2023 at the age of 33, she was diagnosed with autism.
Freeman hadn't even considered such a diagnosis until the subject was featured in the mini-series 'Expecting Amy' which was also directed by Hammer. The very day that she received her diagnosis, Hammer contacted her about them working together on a project.
Her own diagnosis followed and it has changed her life. The dancer admits that she had no idea that finding out she was autistic was "going to be so hard" as she began learning more about herself.
Previous behaviour began to be re-examined and understood. Was her early dancing simply an example of stimming? Freeman admits that finding out she was autistic made a lot of her life "more real" and makes her realise why she has always felt that "something just didn't add up" in the way she behaved. Living in a small town in Idaho helped her avoid being diagnosed as a child. It was just something that wasn't really discussed at that time.
We then follow Freeman as she starts work on her new dance show 'Is it Thursday yet?' Her life becomes increasingly difficult as she struggles with her diagnosis, physical health problems and finding the funding for the show.
This documentary isn't just about Jen Freeman, its director Alexander Hammer also finds himself more in front of the camera than he ever intended. He has his own health problems (at one stage, both he and Freeman are in hospital) and Hammer also admits to being the victim of sexual abuse as a child and that he's also autistic.
In an interview about the documentary, Hammer talks about how receiving an adult diagnosis of autism leads to you "looking backwards as who you were your entire life, not just who you are right now."
He became a close friend of Freeman and the bond that exists between them is clear to all. This really is a special documentary which received its World Premiere at last year's Tribeca Film Festival. Anyone who has received a late diagnosis will identify with the reactions shown in this documentary.
The News Centre
Time now to take a look at a few news items about autism and ADHD.
We begin in Brighton with news of a protest about the possible closure of the Wellington House day centre in Wellington Street, Brighton BN2 3AX.
The centre helps adults with severe learning difficulties, including autism, sensory issues and epilepsy and is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. However, there are plans to close the day centre and last week saw families and carers protest against these plans.
Closing the day centre would save £400,000 a year but supporters say that its closure would lead to people becoming "socially isolated." Labour councillors have said the services will be provided elsewhere if the centre is closed. More information at this link.
I've managed to get this far without mentioning football but that ends now. In Jersey, Going to a big match with thousands in attendance is not the easiest of experiences for someone who has autism. I recently planned on going to Wembley to see the Women's FA Cup Final, but the thought of the long day out and thousands of people attending meant I didn't make the trip.
In Jersey the local football association has taken some action to help autistic football fans. They have teamed up with Autism Jersey to create and distribute sensory bags. These will help those who are autistic to "self-regulate in over-stimulating environments, including football matches." The sensory bags will include ear defenders, fidget toys and sensory balls.
Lesley Harrison is the head of charitable services for Autism Jersey and commented: "Certain sports can be somewhat challenging for autistic individuals. For those with sensory difficulties, the large crowds and noise at a football match can become overwhelming." Harrison believes that the sensory bags will provide "a safe haven where those on the autistic spectrum can watch a live game in a controlled calming environment."
More information on this story here.
Now for some news on a new study into autism by researchers. The international team has identified two distinct subtypes of autism in the brain. They hope that their discoveries will lead to the development of more precise therapy and support programs for autism rather than the 'one size fits all' approach. You can read more about this here.
Meanwhile in Sunderland, scientists have developed a urine test for autism. Their hope is that this will lead to a faster diagnosis process and improved support for children and their families. The project is the work of the Analutos science lab in Sunderland and the Arizona State University. and has taken 20 years.
It looks at the prevalence of gut bacteria and tests were taken out on 100 children, 50% of whom had been diagnosed with autism. The tests found differing levels of bacteria that are known as metabolites when compared with those who had not been diagnosed with autism.
Autistic Pride takes place at Hyde Park Corner in London on Sunday July 12 from 1pm to 5pm. It's a free event to "promote acceptance from society and self-acceptance amongst autistic people."
WWE Star Sol Ruca Says "ADHD Sucks But It's Pretty Cool."
One of the rising stars in World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) is Sol Ruca who is the Women's Intercontinental Champion. In a recent interview with Steph McMahon on the 'What's Your Story' podcast, Ruca spoke about her ADHD diagnosis.
In her childhood, Ruca was taken to see a doctor to see if she was like her mother and was dyslexic. That wasn't the case but the doctor said there were some signs of ADHD which her mother felt was not so. It wasn't until Sol was at college studying psychology that she thought that the previous doctor was in fact correct. Ruca asked her roommate if they thought she had ADHD and a definite yes was the reply. Since then she has read many books on the subject and how it affects people in different ways.
In the interview, Ruca talks about rejection sensitivity dysphoria and declares that "ADHD sucks but it's pretty cool." Other topics in the fascinating interview include how ADHD has helped her life and the problem of being a "people-pleaser" and having to mask.
The ADHD segment of the interview begins at the 48 minute mark.
In our next edition, we'll look at how former Emmerdale star Charley Webb deals with her autism and ADHD.
Jordynne Grace Hits 'Speed Bump' in Attempt to Become an Air Pilot
WWE star Jordynne Grace would love to win more titles in the ring but outside of it, she also loves animals. Recent months have seen the former TNA Knockouts Champion training to become an air pilot. Her dream is to join the animal charity Pilots N Paws who fly abandoned pets from killer shelters and rescue groups to safer shelters and forever homes.
Grace has had several flying lessons and all has been going well. However, her hope of going on her first solo flight has been put on hold due to the fact she has ADHD. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) will not give her the required medical clearance unless what she has described as a "long, invasive, expensive process" is undertaken.
This will cost her $5000 and Grace will need to prove that she can discontinue the medication she takes for her ADHD for 90 days and then permanently. Only when proving that she can function efficiently without showing any ADHD symptoms and not be medicated, can she continue her dream to become a pilot.
Grace says that the news has left her "feeling disillusioned and defeated" but she is not a woman to just give up. The WWE wrestler says that she is "cautiously optimistic that this will all seem like a slight speed bump at some point down the road." More about how Jordynne gets on in future editions of this blog.
Also making news in the WWE has been backstage interviewer Cathy Kelley who recently revealed her autism diagnosis. While speaking about the differences between her on-screen behaviour and her private life, she said: "I recognize that it changes a lot of the social dynamics that I have. So when I say introverted, I feel like it's a little bit more than a typical person would be."
The interview can be seen on the Chris Van Vliet podcast on YouTube and the comments on autism begin at the 44.00 mark.
On The Bookshelf
Plot Twist: Apparently, It’s Autism. Too Quirky for Normal, Too Calm for Diagnosis by Sophie Barton. (£1.99 or £0.00 on Kindle Unlimited, Paperback £10.99).
And I thought my book had a long title! This was the first book about autism that I read after my diagnosis. There were many times when I read a passage and had to convince myself that this book wasn't about me.
It was full of examples that I could have written myself. As every chapter progressed I found myself associating with many of the comments the author made and I bet you would as well. The author looks back at her life and discusses behaviour such as endlessly rehearsing conversations and continually having several different subjects floating around in her head.
In her introduction, the author writes that this book is for "the late bloomers. The quietly exhausted" and those "who always felt a little different too much, but never quite "enough" to warrant a diagnosis."
Autism for her is something she wonderfully describes as having "a thousand tabs open in my brain at all times. Her view of being autistic is that you're someone who simply didn't receive the manual on "how to be a person."
Several areas of her life are examined with total honesty. The struggles she has had as a child and then in employment are all looked at. Sophie was 30 when diagnosed and writes: "Everything is the same. You still have the same memories, the same quirks, the same coping mechanisms and fears and fascinations. But now you also have a name. And with that name comes a lens. And with that lens comes clarity."
This is a book that anyone who has had a late diagnosis should get a copy of. It's not just me who feels this way, the online reviews are very positive and emotional. It is full of honesty with plenty of wit thrown in for good measure. Go to Amazon to make one of the best purchases you'll make in a long while.
Understanding Autism by The Open University
I've carried out plenty of searches on Amazon looking for books to help me find out more about autism. Being a bit of a Scrooge, I've found it difficult to purchase anything that I consider to be expensive. Imagine my delight therefore when I discovered this book and the kindle edition was totally free. Pure heaven.
I was in for a surprise though when beginning to read the book. You see, it's more than just a good book that is full of information about autism. It is in fact the book for an OpenLearn course.
Those are run by the Open University and their 'Understanding Autism' course is a free online course split into eight weeks and will take you around 24 hours to complete. . The bonus is that you can work at your own pace. It is a badged course and is described as "a new way of demonstrating online that you have gained a skill."
You have two options here. Either just get hold of the book, read it and learn a lot about autism. Alternatively, you can go to the Open University site, sign-up for free and start the course. It really does teach you a lot about autism and includes plenty of video interviews with people who either have autism or have a sibling who does.
There are quizzes that you can take and there are two important ones that will determine if you can get your digital badge. These are at the end of weeks 4 and 8. Only 50% is needed to pass and you are allowed up to three attempts at the questions.
Over the eight weeks of the course, you are introduced to the autism spectrum andhow ideas on the subject have evolved over the years. I'm currently on week three and it really has been a fascinating experience so far with lots more to learn.
Quote....Unquote
YouTube Links
Just Why Am I So Obsessed with Christmas? by Stephen Ashfield
I can't write this article for too long because I really need to sort out my latest downloads of Christmas programmes. Well, there are less than six months to go until the big day after all and the Christmas puds will be in the supermarkets soon, hopefully. Christmas is one of my hyper-fixations but like most things autism related I haven't really thought too much about that until my diagnosis.
How many people are eagerly awaiting rewatching the Long John Silver Christmas special, not to forget the Flying Nun and of course the great Lucille Ball and Jack Benny? I am and those programmes and literally thousands more are continually in my mind. Not a day goes by without me trying to find yet more Christmas-related programmes to add to my already way too long list.
Since my diagnosis in May of this year, I have spent a fair amount of time looking back at my life and also examining my current behaviour. Hyperfixations play such an important part in my life. It's not just Christmas programmes but comics, YouTube playlists, obscure sitcoms and statistics that dominate my thoughts.
Is it all good for me though? The obsession with statistics has certainly helped me with my paid work writing sports previews. However, I do find that more time than is actually needed is spent trying to find that killer stat to include in my next article.
I do find myself indulging in my hyperfixations when I should actually be getting some work done that pays the rent. Far too often I am also looking for more Christmas programmes in the early hours of the day when I really should be getting some sleep. Then when I do eventually get to bed, I struggle to get to sleep as I think about the latest programmes I have downloaded and those I still want to find.
Often it does cross my mind that these hyperfixations are not healthy for me. They do take me over and the addition of yet more comics or Christmas shows when I already have thousands to go through seems a bit strange. Then there's the way I behave with my Kindle books. I often have around ten or 12 books on the go at the same time.
They are split evenly between fiction and non-fiction books and have to be in a certain order. Fiction followed by non-fiction, then fiction and non-fiction again. If they get out of order, I just cannot stop myself opening them all up and getting them back into the acceptable order again, even if it is 2am. I still have a lot to learn about how my autism affects my life.
Do you have a hyperfixation? How does it affect the way you behave? If you want to write about it, just email me at mageditoruk@gmail.com.
Coming Soon
Next up I will publish THE MAG UPDATE which will preview some of the major events taking place in Brighton and Hove in the coming weeks. This will include the Autistic Pride/Craft Fair event on July 25, Brighton and Hove Pride on August 1 and 2 and the new Neurodiverse-city event on August 7.
This is due online in the third week of July.
Comments
Post a Comment